St Catherine’s provides a wide range of aquatic programs utilising our state of the art Marigold Southey Sports & Aquatic Centre.
Along with our competitive Swimming club, St Catherine’s Aquatic, we also provide activities including Squad Swimming, Learn To Swim, Water Polo, and Adult Swim Classes. Physical Education classes operating throughout the day also take advantage of opportunities such as Diving, Underwater Hockey and Life Saving Skills.
St Catherine’s Aquatic is our competitive Swimming club that provides students from Years 2 to 12 the opportunity to compete in Swimming Victoria, Swimming Australia and internationally sanctioned meets.
All St Catherine’s students from Years 2 to 12 are eligible to join St Catherine’s Aquatic. Programs consist of:
- Junior Dolphins (Years 2–3) Focus: Nurture and Support
- State Development (Years 4–6) Focus: Learning and Development
- National Development (Years 7–12) Focus: Support and Performance
St Catherine’s School Squads
The Squads program at St Catherine’s School is for current students and caters to a range of abilities. Squad programs consist of:
- Junior Swimmers (Years 1–3) is a learning squad, designed to teach the fundamentals of competitive stroke technique and skills in a coaching environment. The squad also builds fitness within a team setting. Junior Swimmers must attend two sessions a week.
- Junior Squad (Years 4–6) is the largest squad offered in our Junior School. Students are required to attend at least twice per week, with sessions of up to 1 hour and 20 minutes. This group aims to prepare students for House Swimming and interschool Swimming competitions.
- Senior Squad (Years 7–12) is offered to students in Senior School and is run Monday afternoons and Tuesday to Thursday mornings. Catering to a range of swimming abilities Senior School Squad also includes regular dry-land strength and conditioning exercises.
Learn To Swim
Our Learn To Swim program is offered three afternoons per week and caters to students in the Early Learning Centre, Junior School and Senior School as well as current siblings and children of Old Girls. The aim of the Learn To Swim program is to equip students with the fundamentals of good stroke technique as well as water safety skills and knowledge to help students become safer around aquatic environments.
Class sizes are kept small to ensure adequate instructor-to-student attention and to allow students sufficient time on skill development. The Learn To Swim program utilises the learners’ four metre pool and the 25 metre lap pool, with all classes required to spend a portion of time in deeper water regardless of level or age.
Catering to a range of abilities from beginner through to advanced our Adult Swimming groups are offered to current parents, staff and Old Girls from the St Catherine’s School community.
Our programs consist of:
- Adult Learn To Swim is a beginner class aimed at teaching the fundamentals of stroke technique in a relaxed environment and is offered each Friday morning during Term time. This group is ideal for raising water confidence in adult beginners and increasing water-based fitness.
- Adult Swim Group is a social group aimed at improving fitness, Swimming skills and technique. This group generally achieves between 1.4 to 2.8km of Swimming depending on participant ability.