At St Catherine’s School we welcome international students, and celebrate the diversity and global influences which they bring to our community.
Update: For the latest travel advice and updates for International Students, please visit Study Melbourne
Study in Australia
We are committed to maintaining a balance of students across different regions and encourage an equally diverse international community. Our international students from China, Malaysia, Thailand, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Brunei and Indonesia bring deep cultural enrichment, language learning and global perspectives to our School community.
Our international students find the St Catherine’s School experience provides close and supportive community, intellectual, social, emotional and moral development; high academic achievement; and diverse opportunities to pursue all areas of interest.
Studying and Support at St Catherine’s
Hear from our Leadership Team on the support provided to our International Students including:
- Advice and support relating to enrolment and Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) matters
- Academic guidance and support throughout your study
- Wellbeing support services for international students
Life at St Catherine’s
Development of leadership skills and forming life-long friendships are often described as the most memorable highlights of life at St Catherine’s.
Life After St Catherine’s
Maggie Yang graduated in 2017 and is now studying a Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash University. Maggie reflects fondly on her time at St Catherine’s and is particularly grateful for the support available during VCE.
Education is lifetime investment. At St Catherine’s School, we believe schools are not ‘one size fits all’. It is crucial that the educational environment is a good individual fit with the student’s personality, attitude and interests.
At the heart of our engaged, dynamic and inclusive community, St Catherine’s School nurtures young women, to be bold and creative, independent and resilient, and who are intellectually and spiritually prepared to contribute to a greater good and an enriching life both within and beyond School.
To know and value each of our students St Catherine’s maintains small year levels and class numbers. Our size, along with our one campus advantage ensures all our students – from our youngest in Early Learning Centre to our VCE students – learn in one central and encouraging community.
We enjoy a reputation for academic excellence, a supportive community, an outstanding co-curricular program, exceptional teachers, fine facilities and established alumnae networks and yet we believe our greatest achievement is the quality of character which students of St Catherine’s exhibit.
When your daughter joins St Catherine’s she will tread the same floorboards as generations of remarkable women before her. Like them, she will discover her own path to a meaningful career and a full and relevant life.
We generally accept applications from students across all year levels from ELC to Year 12.
We accept high calibre, high achieving students with good English Language scores.
While every application is reviewed on it's merits, as a guide, we would recommend the following:
- Years 7-9 - a score of between 60-70
- Years 10-12 - a score of 75 and above
Boarding at St Catherine’s School provides our girls with a safe and comfortable living environment. They have the opportunity to make friends with girls from across Australia and around the world. Our National Trust-listed Victorian mansion providing a comfortable and unique home environment to our community of girls.
We also offer Homestay accommodation options and engage a Homestay Services Provider to arrange stringent selection, approval and monitoring processes at the time of application.
- Complete the online Application for Enrolment Form.
- Return Application with a non-refundable registration fee of $220 (per non-resident student), a copy of the student’s Birth Certificate and Passport and a copy of the AEAS English Report (if applicable) or an IELTS test result must be supplied at the time of Application.
- The student’s name is then added to a Waiting List for entry in the Year and Level nominated.
- When the student’s name is reached on the relevant list, students undertake a basic literacy and numeracy assessment to determine their educational needs, after which an interview (on site or via Skype) with the Principal is arranged at which time the parents or guardian and student attend, bringing with them current school reports.
- A formal offer of a place in our School may then be made, and a non-refundable Entrance Fee of $1,800 for one child, or $2,500 (maximum) for more than one child, is immediately payable to accept a place. Please view the Business Practices for more information about fees and charges.
- Upon receipt, formal confirmation of the place is provided by way of an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) which enables a student to apply for a visa.
We are proud of the diversity of our student body and have students from a wide range of cultural backgrounds. Our International Students participate in an Orientation Program on commencement.
Prior to enrolment, our Admissions office will remain in contact with you to ensure a smooth transition through the application process. During this time, we encourage you to visit the School and meet with staff to discuss subject choices. In the weeks prior to commencement, the Head of Year will make contact with you to explain the first-day procedure, daily routines and arrangements and match you with a suitable buddy.
Our graduating students are be represented at institutes including The University of Melbourne, Monash University, Australian Catholic University, Deakin University, Latrobe University, RMIT, Australian National University and Swinburne University of Technology and overseas at University College London and University of California.
English Language Assessment
All instruction at St Catherine’s take place in English; therefore, students must possess an adequate level of proficiency in the language to enable them to participate meaningfully in class and to meet written and oral class requirements. English language competence must be demonstrated prior to enrolment. All students who do not have English as their first language are required to sit
an English Language Assessment Test administered by the Australian Education Assessment Service (AEAS). The test results must be submitted at the time of application.
English as an Additional Language (EAL) Status
EAL teachers are employed by the School to assist students in their development of English proficiency. EAL students who meet the necessary Government or VCAA criteria are expected to attend EAL classes. A student is eligible for EAL status depending on the length of time she has been a resident in Australia and on the length of time that English has been her main language of instruction. EAL classes are offered at VCE level Units 1 – 4.
The School is subject to The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS) and the National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (National Code 2018).
Request a Prospectus
Find out more about life at St Catherine’s and the values which drive us, the breadth of opportunities we offer our students, and above all, the outstanding reputation that has been built over our 120 year history. Request a Prosectus or contact our Admissions team
- St Catherine’s School schedule of fees
- International Student Policy
- Welfare Policy
- Accommodation Policy
- Department of Home Affairs.
- Australian Education Assessment Services (AEAS)
- International English Language Testing System
- Expectation of English Proficiency and Educational Qualifications.
- ESOS Framework –