The construction of new buildings and capital improvements ensure our students have access to the best possible education environment. Your donation, irrespective of its size, really does make a difference.
St Catherine’s School has a proud history of achievement, laying the educational foundation for generations of women.
It is our dedication to expanding the minds of all our students, developing their critical thinking abilities and helping them find their voice that drives the advancement of resources and infrastructure to facilitate active learning.
It is only through philanthropic support that St Catherine’s remains at the forefront of girls’ education, providing the resources and infrastructure necessary to facilitate contemporary learning for all our students and attracting and retaining the best staff.
Her Future Begins Here – Junior School Redevelopment Project
Timeframe: December 2016 for completion 2018
The Junior School redevelopment is our most significant development project to date. It is being carefully staged and planned to minimise the impact on School life and allow sufficient time to raise the philanthropic funds necessary to bring our vision to reality.
The new Junior School campus has been designed with:
- A dedicated Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and Language Learning spaces.
- A 21st Century School library land resource centre located at the centre of the campus, preparing students to be critical thinkers, evaluators and entrepreneurial creators of information and knowledge.
- A purpose built auditorium equipped with a designated rehearsal space, a well-equipped Music classroom with private instrumental tutorial spaces and a new Art Studio and gallery. These areas will be located adjacent to the St Catherine’s Early Learning Centre (ELC) providing easy access for our youngest learners.
- A relocated playing and sports precinct within the grounds of the School campus to provide a safe, secure and private space for our girls with close and visible proximity to staff offices, enabling vigilance and care.
Donations to the Her Future Begins Here project are tax deductible and can be spread over one to five years. Gifts over $10,000 entitles you to School Foundation membership.
Edna Holmes Centre for Science – Upgrade of Laboratories Expansion
Timeframe: September 2017 for completion 2020
To enable our girls to be women of the future, the School is undertaking a significant upgrade to the Science Laboratories in the Edna Holmes Centre for Science. This redevelopment will enhance the delivery of science learning and improve the capacity for our girls to succeed in an emerging workforce based in the science and technology industries.
Key features include:
- Larger and more flexible laboratories to accommodate scientific inquiry and practical work;
- Addition of a third ‘Wet’ Laboratory for Junior Science Classes;
- Creation of a new TIDE (Technology, Innovation, Design & Engineering) Laboratory, specifically incorporating a new Robotics store and Optics Lab;
- Installation of emergency eyewash and shower units in all laboratories to improve safety and risk management;
- Extensive refurbishment of the existing Science Centre Courtyard.
This project forms part of a broader strategic intention to strengthen Science, Technology and Mathematics learning at St Catherine’s School. It complements the addition of a purpose-built STEM Laboratory and the recruitment of a Science specialist teacher in the Junior School.
To find out more about current and future projects at St Catherine’s School, please contact
Mr Stuart Galbraith, Director of Development and Community Relations or phone +61 3 9828 3032.
Campbell House The Ilhan Family Centre
Ruth Langley Research and Learning Centre
As Principal of the School from 1903 – 1933, Miss Langley established an enduring philosophy of ‘education for life’. The Ruth Langley Research and Learning Centre celebrates the leading role played by Miss Ruth Langley, both in the history of St Catherine’s School and in women’s education in Victoria, housing the revitalised Nicholas Library containing a rich collection of books, a careers precinct and technology hub. The building provides refreshed learning spaces, allowing girls to work collaboratively on tasks, and in quiet reading areas, filled with ample natural light for contemplative study.
Edna Holmes Centre for Science
Miss Edna Holmes commenced as Headmistress of St Catherine’s School in 1934. Encompassing the glass atrium and Science laboratories, the building is named as a mark of respect and in admiration of the academic rigour instilled by Miss Holmes during her tenure as Principal.
Mary Davis Centre
Named in recognition of Miss Mary Davis Principal from 1950-1971, the Mary Davis Centre is the heart of St Catherine’s School, providing a Café and social hub for our students and School community.
The Marigold Southey Sports & Aquatic Centre
Named in recognition of Lady Southey AC, Lieutenant Governor of Victoria (2001 – 2006) and President of the St Catherine’s School Foundation (2001–2009). The Centre provides extensive sporting facilities to increase participation, performance and elite pathways for St Catherine’s students.
Campbell House The Ilhan Family Centre
Named in honour of Mr Jim Campbell, Chair of Council 1952–1967, Campbell House was first used as the boarding house before becoming the School’s kindergarten in 1977. In 2008 the Ilhan family became generous benefactors in the refurbishment and extension of Campbell House into a state-of-the-art learning environment for the School’s Early Learning Centre.