In Year 9, adolescents are experiencing great physical, social, emotional and intellectual developmental changes. It is during this critical period of their life that adolescents want to define themselves and search for a new identity – different from their pre-teen identity and parents.
As students naturally begin to explore new pathways and identify individual talents and interests our Year 9 program shifts focus to enable students to experiment, take positive risks with their education and personal development and engage in new areas of study and co-curriculum.
Our Year 9 international Heyington to Highlands program develops girls of character and empowers them to grasp their independence and become globally responsive young women.
Our elective program provides an opportunity for students to pursue subjects for which they have developed a passion or interest in. We nurture and encourage our girls’ growing independence and choice, whilst maintaining curriculum offerings that provide a core basis of study for our students’ to keep their academic options open.
The qualities of informed decision-making, personal negotiation and productive work practices come into play. Particular emphasis on differentiation and extension is maintained at the Year 9 level.
Throughout the year our Year 9 Dean provides ongoing guidance, pastoral care and coordination of the Year 9 cohort, as well as ongoing communication with parents.
Learning programs are delivered through the following core learning areas:
- Physical Education/Health & Personal Development
Elective offerings are found in the following learning areas:
- The Arts (Art and Design, Drama, Music and Media)
- English (Literature)
- Digital Learning (Digital World)
- Health & PE (Sport Leadership and Sport Psychology)
- Humanities (Accounting, Commerce, Geography, History, Philosophy, Politics)
- Languages other than English (French, Japanese, Mandarin)
- Science (Psychology)
- Please note: Electives change each year and are dependent upon student choices
- Risk-Taking Behaviours (alcohol and drug awareness, safe partying)
- Physical Fitness
- Media Awareness