At St Catherine’s School we welcome international students, and celebrate the diversity and global influences which they bring to our community.
We are committed to maintaining a balance of students across different regions and encourage an equally diverse international community. We have international students from China, Malaysia, Thailand, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Brunei and Indonesia.
Our international students find the St Catherine’s School experience provides: close and supportive community, intellectual, social, emotional and moral development; high academic achievement; and diverse opportunities to pursue all areas of interest.
Boarding at St Catherine’s School provides our girls with a safe and comfortable living environment. They have the opportunity to make friends with girls from across Australia and around the world. Take a virtual tour of our fully renovated, National Trust-listed Victorian mansion providing a comfortable and unique home environment to our community of girls.
Application Process at St Catherine’s School
- Complete the Application for Enrolment Form.
- Return Application with a non-refundable registration fee of $220 (per non-resident student), a copy of the student’s Birth Certificate and Passport and a copy of the AEAS English Report (if applicable) or an IELTS test result must be supplied at the time of Application.
- The student’s name is then added to a Waiting List for entry in the Year and Level nominated.
- When the student’s name is reached on the relevant list, students undertake a basic literacy and numeracy assessment to determine their educational needs, after which an interview (on site or via Skype) with the Principal is arranged at which time the parents or guardian and student attend, bringing with them current school reports.
- A formal offer of a place in our School may then be made, and a non-refundable Entrance Fee of $1,800 for one child, or $2,500 (maximum) for more than one child, is immediately payable to accept a place. Please view the Business Practices for more information about fees and charges.
- Upon receipt, formal confirmation of the place is provided by way of an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) which enables a student to apply for a visa.
- St Catherine’s School schedule of fees is available here.
- Students are required to obtain a student VISA from the Department of Home Affairs.
- All FFPOS students who have applied to attend St Catherine’s School must, before their enrolment, complete an AEAS (Australian Education Assessment
Services) test or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) to help determine their preparedness for an education at the School.
- All non-resident students not living with their parents are required to nominate a primary contact. The primary contact’s role is to act on behalf of the student during their time at the School and should be a mature adult, over the age of 25 years, and be willing and able to assist the student where necessary. In conjunction with the parents and the School, the primary carer should also oversee the student’s travel between their home country and their accommodation in Australia during term breaks.
- For the benefit of the student, a standard of English is required which allows the student to interact effectively with the educational and pastoral care programs and activities of the School. More information about required standards can be found in our Expectation of English Proficiency and Educational Qualifications.
- EAL teachers are employed by the School to assist students in their development of English proficiency. EAL students who meet the necessary Government or VCAA criteria are expected to attend EAL classes. A student is eligible for EAL status depending on the length of time she has been a resident in Australia and on the length of time that English has been her main
language of instruction. EAL classes are offered at VCE level Units 1 – 4.
- The School is subject to The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS) and the National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007. The ESOS Framework can be viewed here.